The HP penalty is not for everyone, and even gives some players anxiety. It is sometimes difficult to determine if a stray boss attack will kill you. For example, let's say normally your max HP is 100. You take 40 damage. You're left with 60 HP. With Mayhem and Burst Mode on, your max HP is now 25. You take 65% decreased damage, which means that same 40 damage skill would do 14 damage to you out of 25. You're now left with 11 HP. You've lost more than half your health in this situation, but it didn't kill you. It takes some getting used to.
Decent Mobility ✔
High Burst Rotations ✔
Always in Burst Mode ✔
Good Counter, Stagger, Destruction ✔
❌ HP Anxiety
❌ Less Room For Error
❌ Long Skill Cast Times
❌ Class Engraving Required
Raid Skill Build
- Finish Strike offers high damage and high Stagger. The first row Skill Tree, Tenacity, offers Push Immunity, allowing you to ignore certain soft crowd control patterns.
- Sword Storm is used by Mayhem Berserkers only because of their 3rd row Skill Tree, Flame Storm. This causes bonus damage when the user is below 50% health, which is always active. Quick Preparation is taken over Vital Point Strike to fit into the optimal damage rotation.
- Tempest Slash is a decent damage and Stagger skill.
- As you require no Fury Meter gain, Berserk Fury is used as an Awakening skill over Chain of Vengeance.
- For players that don't like the slow wind-up on Chain Sword, you can replace Vital Point Strike with Nimble Movement.
- Finish Strike's first Skill Tree can be switched to Enhanced Strike for increased damage. The issue is that without high agility and higher tier versions of Galewind, the skill can be annoying to cast and might not be fast enough to fit into your damage rotation.
- Sword Storm can be equipped with the Crit Rate Skill Tree Vital Point Strike if you cannot optimally use your damage rotation or if you have a high enough Swiftness.
Short DPS/Stagger Check
- Red Dust
- Finish Strike.
- Tempest Slash.
- Sword Storm
- Red Dust.
- Hell Blade or Strike Wave.
- Finish Strike.
- Sword Storm.
- Chain Sword.
- Dark Rush or Tempest Slash.
- Shoulder Charge can used as a gap closer or to dodge.
- Hell Blade can also be used as a gap closer after a mechanic dodge.
- When you know a bosses' Stagger mechanic is coming, save high Stagger skills like Finish Strike or Tempest Slash.
- Chain Sword can be used as a Counter Attack skill.
- Always be wary of how much health you have remaining.
Mayhem Berserkers aim for Crit and Swiftness. While it's all preference, here are some potential stat spreads:
- All-Around Build: Split 50/50 of Crit and Swiftness. Not much to say. This stat spread is one size fits all.
- Critical Build: 800-900 Swiftness then get as much Crit as possible. This stat spread is more about high Crit Rate with a sprinkle of Swiftness. This helps compensate for the loss of the +20% Crit Rate from Burst Mode with Mayhem Berserker. The Swiftness helps give you Movement Speed to increase your damage when using Raid Captain. Near the end of Tier 3, your Crit will only get higher.
Class Engravings provide powerful stat boosts that dictate the playstyle of a class. Battle Engravings are generally used to increase damage. Below are the recommended Engravings for this build.
Check out the Engraving Guide for more details.
- Mayhem is a core part of this build. You only need to reach the first level for this engraving as all levels provide a flat bonus of 15% Attack Speed, 15% Movement Speed, and 65% Damage Reduction. The only stat that changes is the increased damage at greater levels.
- Master's Tenacity complements Mayhem Berserkers incredibly well as you are naturally going to have less than 50% HP. It is a damage engraving that has no downsides like Grudge or Cursed Doll.
Add-On Endgame Engravings
- Keen Blunt Weapon* requires a high Crit stat to make use of its bonus. It should only be considered as your 5th or 6th engraving.
- Raid Captain is a decent engraving if the player is running high Swiftness. At 140% movement speed, Raid Captain provides 18% increased damage output.
- Master of Ambush is an alternative choice to Grudge without downsides, as most of Berserker's skills have Back Attack.
Note: The Advanced Engravings are the Best in Slot setup for Tier 3 content. The penalties attached to these can be hard to overcome for new players. Only use the following engravings if you are experienced with the boss fight!
- Grudge* is another common DPS engraving for most classes as it has no positional requirement. The increased damage penalty is somewhat offset by Mayhem, external heals, and shields. You should be dodging boss basic mechanics any way.
- Increases Mass* increases Attack Power with a penalty of 10% reduced Attack Speed. The penalty can be offset by the Swift Attack Prep Skill Tree on Chain Sword.
- Cursed Doll* offers a flat damage boost. which is good since it's a unconditional damage increase but with healing received penalty.
(*)These Engravings should only be used at Engravings Level 3.
Engravings are listed in order of priority from left to right.
Check out the Gear Set Guide for more details.
- If speedrunning your alts, you can skip Abyss Dungeon Gear up to 1370 gearscore by just honing Chaos Dungeon Gear.
- If you're close to 1445 gearscore and were already doing Valtan/Vykas Normal Mode, you can skip crafting the Legendary Legion Raid Gears.
- If you have already crafted Relic Gears, hold onto them because once you unlock the Gear Set Conversion feature, you will be able to freely swap between Relic Legion Raid Sets.
"Play at your own pace" Route
Runes enhance skills by providing bonuses such as Attack Speed or Cooldown Reduction. Runes have limited availability and you cannot acquire them from the same source twice. For some runes there are 2 sources and as such, you can acquire two of the same rune. Therefore, it's important to place your Runes on skills wisely. Below are the recommend rune placements for Mayhem Berserker.
Check the Rune Guide for more details.
Gear Skill Tree
While Gems add benefits to skills, you can also increase the effects of Skill Tree themselves. Skill Tree levels go up to 5 and each level can increase the damage, cooldown reduction, or buff that they provide.
For more information on how to add equipment Skill Tree and how to get them, please visit our Skill Tree System Guide.
*(shorter animation and better stagger)
Gems grant bonus damage and cooldown reduction to specific skills. You can only equip 11 of these Gems at a time so it is recommended that you prioritize the Gems for your most important skills.
Please visit our Gem System Guide for more information like how to create higher tier Gems.
Cards are an endgame system for maximizing your character. Below are the recommended sets for this class.
Check out the Card Guide for more details on how to obtain them.
Budget Card Set
Optimal Damage Card Set
- Mayhem Berserkers free themselves of annoying Fury Meter. They can immediately enter Burst Mode and enjoy an instant 15% increased Attack, 15% Movement Speed and 65% damage reduction.
- Lead with Red Dust into your other heavy hitting skills. If done properly, you'll be able to fit in your entire rotation within the 6 second debuff window.
- Most Berserker skills have high Stagger and contribute significantly to boss mechanics.
- Master's Tenacity is the ideal engraving for Mayhem Berserkers.
Written by Rei
Edited by Yaen
Reviewed by Raxxanterax
Adjusted Gearsets section to include Vykas parts.
Updated Gearsets to include Valtan gears. Adjusted new information regarding Red Dust.